These almond flour brownies are mega chewy fudge brownies with crisp, crunchy edges and soft, gooey centers that literally melt in your mouth! They are quick and easy to make, plus entirely grain and gluten-free!
What is Almond Flour?
Almond flour is made purely from blanched almonds that have been ground into a very fine powder. It's a great gluten and carb-free alternative that adds a delicious taste and texture to a lot of recipes. It's also one of the main ingredients used to make macarons!
Almond Meal vs. Almond Flour
Both almond meal and almond flour are made from ground almonds, however almond flour is made from peeled (skins removed) almonds, whereas almond meal is made from ground whole almonds. Almond flour is finer and has a consistency that is pretty similar to regular flour, almond meal is very grainy and tends to be more oily than almond flour. For these brownies, almond flour works best, but almond meal can also work if that's all you have.
Ingredients for Almond Flour Brownies
- Almond flour: The brand I use is Blue Diamond almond flour. You can get it online or at most grocery stores in the baking aisle. Almond flour is prone to clumping, so whichever brand you use, it's always best to sift it first to get rid of any larger chunks.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Natural or dutch-processed is fine.
- Tip: To give these brownies an extra depth of flavor, try switching out a few teaspoons of the cocoa powder for some instant coffee or espresso powder. You won't be able to taste the coffee, but it really enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: 6 ounces chopped or about 1 cup regular or mini chocolate chips. Half of the chocolate is going to be melted with the butter and the rest gets folded into the brownie batter before baking.
- Butter: Unsalted and melted with half of the chocolate.
- Granulated & brown sugar: Using both sugars makes these brownies extra gooey because of the molasses in the brown sugar.
- Eggs: If you want your brownies to have really crackly tops, whisk the eggs for about 30 seconds in a separate bowl before adding them to the batter.
- Salt: Leave it out if you're using salted butter.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but recommended!
How to Make Almond Flour Brownies:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 13" cake pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Leave a little overhang to make removing the brownies from the pan easier.
- Sift the dry ingredients (almond flour, cocoa powder, and salt) into a medium bowl and set aside. Don't skip the sifting step or you'll end up with large chunks of dry ingredients throughout the batter.
- Add the unsalted butter and half of the chocolate (3 ounces/about half a cup) to a large glass bowl. Heat over a double boiler or microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Add both sugars and whisk vigorously until well combined. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in the dry ingredients until evenly incorporated and the batter is smooth, then fold in the remaining chopped chocolate/chocolate chips.
Add the batter to the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, depending on how gooey you want them to be in the center. Take the brownies out of the oven and let cool completely in the pan before removing and slicing.
How to Store Almond Flour Brownies:
Once cut into squares, store the brownies in an airtight container and keep at room temperature for 2-3 days. To store brownies uncut and still in the pan, let cool and then wrap the pan well with plastic wrap. The brownies will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the brownies for up to 3 months.
More Chocolate Desserts:
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Marble Cheesecake
- Chocolate Caramel Tart
- Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
Almond Flour Brownies
- 9 x 13" cake pan
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, natural or dutch-processed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (about 1 cup, chopped or chocolate chips), divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 13" cake pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Leave an overhang to make removing from the pan easier.
- Sift the almond flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the unsalted butter and 3 ounces of the semi-sweet chocolate. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until both are melted and smooth. Add both sugars and whisk well to combine.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk vigorously until smooth. Mix in the sifted dry ingredients until combined, then stir in the remaining 3 ounces (half a cup) chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-32 minutes. A toothpick in the center should come out mostly clean when the brownies are done.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for at least 1 hour before removing and slicing.
Leave a Reply