These baked Buffalo wings are soo crispy and the sauce is extra spicy. I am totally obsessed with all things wings, messy finger food for dinner- give it to me now!
Baked Buffalo wings are one of my all-time favorite dinners and they are an absolute necessity for football watching enjoyment. Finding the perfect recipe for crispy baked Buffalo wings was a process that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was in search of a recipe and cooking method that resulted in a juicy chicken wing with a perfectly crisp exterior. In my early attempts, I was baking them at 400° and coating with flour. The result was okay- wings cooked, not really crispy. Amping up the heat and coating them with corn starch made them great.
How to make baked wings crispy:
The secret to extra crispy wings is to coat them in corn starch prior to baking. Not only does corn starch create a crispy exterior, but it also creates a barrier that locks in moisture and makes the chicken juicy. Baking at a high temperature and broiling the wings in the final step are other things that help crisp the wings.
Extra spicy Buffalo sauce:
My husband has a high demand for heat in his Buffalo wings. He’s typically disappointed with restaurant versions. I’ve tried sauces that had me in tears and he’s still demanding more heat! So no more games, what’s the best way to add a crazy amount of heat? I tried adding chopped habanero peppers at first, but it was a bit extreme. Chopped serrano peppers did the trick. Perfectly spicy and husband approved! Adding aromatics such as garlic and the peppers is great for flavor and heat, but not so great for consistency. To fix this, the garlic and peppers are sauteéd with butter and Frank’s red hot sauce, then blended and simmered for a few minutes to really incorporate all of the flavors. Finally, the sauce is drained through a sieve. So all that is left is a smooth and creamy, perfectly spicy sauce.
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings - Extra Spicy!
For the wings:
- 5 lbs. party wings about 3 dozen wings
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For the buffalo sauce
- 3 cups Franks Red Hot Sauce
- ½ cup butter (8 tbsps.)
- 4 Serrano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
For the wings:
- Rinse the wings and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix corn starch, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the wings and toss to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange the wings on the pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Flip the wings and continue baking 20-30 minutes until crispy.
Make the sauce:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the chopped peppers to sauteé 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and sauteé an additional minute.
- Pour in the red hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce into a blender or food processor and pureé until mostly smooth. Set aside until the wings are almost finished baking.
- When the wings are almost finished, strain the buffalo sauce through a sieve back into the saucepan. Simmer the sauce on low until the wings are finished baking.
- Toss the cooked wings with the Buffalo sauce. Serve with celery and ranch or blue cheese dressing.