Butternut squash soup is creamy, delicious, and easy to prepare. It's a Fall favorite that is perfect for a cozy night in.
Butternut squash soup is a favorite of mine, and once you try this recipe I know it will become one of yours too. As its name implies, butternut squash has a mildly sweet, buttery, and nutty flavor that most closely resembles the flavor of pumpkins or sweet potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP:
- Olive oil: For sautéeing the vegetables
- Butternut squash: Medium-sized fresh squash or if you'd rather skip the peeling and cubing go ahead and buy the pre-cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen works fine.
- Carrots: The perfect pair for butternut squash.
- Onion and garlic: You are going to love how the savory flavor of onion and garlic compliment the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- Chicken broth: Or beef or vegetable, use whatever you prefer.
- Cinnamon, salt, and pepper: The perfect seasonings for this soup!
- Brown sugar: Just a small amount to really help carmelize the vegetables.
- Heavy cream or half & half: Adds a great richness to the already naturally creamy soup. Drizzle it in at the very end, a little goes a long way! If you want to make the soup dairy-free, feel free to use almond milk, coconut milk, or really any milk you have on hand.
- Start by peeling the squash, then remove the seeds with a spoon and dice into even-sized cubes.
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Chop the onions and garlic. It's fine to coarsely chop them since the soup is going to be pureed later on.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium to a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, squash, and carrots, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Boil until soft and you can easily pierce the squash and carrots with a fork, this will take about 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or a blender to purée the soup. Always be very careful if using a blender to blend hot ingredients because the liquids can go everywhere.
- Add the soup back into the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream or half and half.
- Serve warm with a side of dinner rolls, which are absolutely delicious dipped in this soup. Enjoy! ♥
More Delicious Soup Recipes:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, diced (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth*
- ¼ cup heavy cream or half and half**
- Peel the butternut squash, slice in half horizontally and remove the seeds. Dice into even-sized cubes.
- Peel and slice the carrots into even-sized pieces. Coarsely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped onion, diced carrots, and cubed butternut squash. Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon and brown sugar and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Pour the broth over the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Boil until tender, about 10 minutes. You should be able to easily pierce the squash and the carrots with a fork.
- Transfer the contents to a blender and very carefully blend on the lowest setting until smooth. You may have to work in batches for the liquid to not spill over the top.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the heavy cream or half and half before serving.