These Chicken Enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, black beans, and lots of cheese! The homemade enchilada sauce is seriously good and incredibly easy to make.
I have been obsessed with these chicken enchiladas lately! Flour tortillas filled with perfectly shredded chicken, black beans, and a homemade enchilada sauce that is just ridiculously good.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
Making enchilada sauce at home is incredibly easy and tastes sooo much better than the store-bought stuff. This enchilada sauce is made in one saucepan with just six simple ingredients:
- Chili powder
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
Melt the butter in your saucepan and whisk in the flour until combined. Make sure there aren’t any clumps of flour. Season with chili powder and cumin and whisk in the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Set the sauce aside and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until ready to use.
How to make shredded chicken:
I used to think to make shredded chicken required hours of slow cooking at a low temperature. Turns out there’s actually an incredibly easy way to make shredded chicken, and it only takes about 15 minutes! This recipe can be made with either boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts. I prefer to use thighs because they are more tender and juicy.
To make shredded chicken:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the chicken to sauté on each side for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add enough chicken broth to completely cover the thighs, bring to a boil and boil until cooked to an internal temperature of 165°. Remove the chicken from the saucepan and shred it by taking two forks, with the backs facing each other and pulling apart in opposite directions.
Assemble and Bake the Chicken Enchiladas:
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the tortillas in the pan, I always use flour tortillas, but that’s just personal preference. Use any size tortillas that fit in your pan, this recipe used medium-soft taco size tortillas in a single layer, but I also like to use street tacos in two rows to make cute mini enchiladas!
Add a generous spoonful of the enchilada sauce to each tortilla. Add the shredded chicken, black beans, and 1-2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese to each tortilla. Fold the sides of the tortillas to close them. I like to turn them on their sides so that the closed end is more secured.
Spread the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese mexican blend
For the Shredded Chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
For the Enchilada Sauce:
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Arrange the tortillas in a single layer in the casserole dish.
Make the Enchilada Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium pot. Whisk in the flour making sure there aren't any clumps.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and tomato sauce and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sauce thickens, remove from heat and set aside.
Make the Shredded Chicken:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken thighs, season with ½ of the salt, pepper, and chili powder. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Flip, and season the other side with the remaining salt, pepper, and chili powder. Pour the chicken broth over the thighs and bring to a boil. Boil until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165° or until no longer pink in the center.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and use two forks to shred the chicken by pulling apart in opposite directions.
Assemble and Bake:
- Add a generous spoonful (about ¼ - ½ cup) of the enchilada sauce to each of the tortillas.
- Add the shredded chicken and black beans evenly to the tortillas. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese.
- Close the tortillas and spread the top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm.