Chicken Noodle Soup is a hearty and delicious cold-fighting comfort food that is sure to warm your soul.
Chicken noodle soup is perfect for cold days or when you're fighting off illness. It's healthy and delicious comfort food that is packed with hearty vegetables and tender chicken. This recipe is quick and easy, ready in under 30 minutes with classic chicken noodle soup ingredients.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup:
Chicken: You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or thighs. Chicken thighs are more juicy and flavorful while chicken breasts are slightly healthier. Use whichever you prefer.
Veggies: Chopped carrots, onion, celery, and minced garlic.
Pasta: I used wide egg noodles but of course feel free to use any pasta you prefer or omit it entirely for a lower carb soup.
Start by making the pasta: Bring salted water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside while you make the rest of the soup ingredients.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook 1-2 minutes per side. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and cut it up into bite-size pieces or you can shred it using two forks. Return to the pot with the veggies, add the cooked pasta and serve warm.
Optional: I like to make this soup spicy by adding red pepper flakes.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- ½ cup chopped celery, about 2 stalks
- ½ cup chopped carrot, about 2 medium
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups egg noodles
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the celery, carrots, and onion and sauté 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook 1-2 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Flip the chicken, add the garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Cover with the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and either cut into bite-size pieces or you can shred it using two forks.
- Return the chicken to the pot, add in the cooked pasta and red pepper flakes, if using. Serve warm.