If you love a good Chicken Parmesan that is super crispy then this is the recipe for you! Chicken breasts are breaded and pan-fried, then topped with cheese and baked in the oven until bubbly and golden. Serve over pasta with my favorite homemade marinara sauce for a complete dinner that is perfectly satisfying.
This crispy chicken Parmesan recipe is a family favorite that makes an easy and impressive dinner. This recipe uses a few simple techniques that make sure the breading is super crispy and not at all soggy.
Tips for super crispy chicken Parmesan:
- Coat the chicken with cornstarch, not flour. This is a trick that makes such a huge difference in the crispiness factor.
- Pan-fry the chicken in butter and oil. The butter helps tremendously with crispiness and the oil keeps the butter from burning.
- Add the sauce after the chicken finishes baking. I have found that baking the chicken in the sauce causes the crust to become soggy.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan:
1. Start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and use a knife to slice them in half horizontally.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to pound them to an even thickness, about ¼” thick.
3. To bread the chicken, prepare 3 shallow plates. Add cornstarch to one, two eggs to the second, and a mixture of Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in the third. Dip the chicken into each of the mixtures, starting with the cornstarch, then the eggs, and lastly the breading. Repeat the process a second time so the breading is better coated and adhered to the chicken.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan with olive oil. Add the chicken and fry on each side until crispy, about 5 minutes per side. The chicken will be almost completely cooked through and will finish cooking in the oven.
5. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chicken and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake at 450° for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve warm with marinara sauce and a side of pasta.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about ½ lb. each
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups Italian style bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
For the Homemade Marinara:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. dry red wine*
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Slice each of the boneless, skinless chicken breasts in half horizontally. Cover with plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to pound to an even thickness, about ¼" thick.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls. One with the cornstarch, one with the eggs, and one with both the bread crumbs and the parmesan cheese.
- Coat the chicken on each side with each of the mixtures, starting with the cornstarch, then the eggs, and then the breading/cheese mixture. Repeat a second time.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with olive oil. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and fry for about 5 minutes per side until crispy.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and add the chicken. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
Make the Homemade Marinara:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and saute 5 minutes until soft. Add the minced garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper, and dry red wine. Add the red pepper flakes if using. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low until ready to use.