This Green Bean Casserole recipe uses fresh ingredients and homemade cream of mushroom soup that is to die for! The green beans are boiled until perfectly tender and then sautéed in garlic and butter which gives them the most amazing flavor.
This green bean casserole recipe is my pride and joy that I’ve spent years perfecting. It’s even earned the coveted spot of my husband’s second favorite thing that I cook for him(first being ramen)😎. The homemade cream of mushroom soup and garlic butter green beans make it irresistible. And of course, no green bean casserole would be complete without fried onions!
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients:
Fresh green beans: Do your green bean casserole justice and skip the canned green beans. Fresh is so much better, and as a recipe with so few components, it’s extra important to use the best ingredients.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup: Making cream of mushroom soup at home is so easy and crazy delicious. Once you try it you will never want to go back to store-bought. Just five ingredients: mushrooms, butter, flour, chicken broth, and heavy cream.
French Fried Onions: Crispy fried onions are essential for green bean casserole. Save yourself the grease fire and use store-bought, which is so much easier(and delicious!!).
How to Make Green Bean Casserole:
Garlic Butter Green Beans:
- Trim the green beans and cut them in half. Add the green beans to a large pot and add enough water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until the green beans are fork-tender.
- Drain the green beans and add butter into the pot. Once the butter has melted add minced garlic and green beans and sauté for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat.
Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Rinse the mushrooms and use a paper towel to wipe off any dirt. Trim the stems and cut into quarters by slicing in half one way then slicing the opposite way in half-inch slices.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until they start to release their juices and become soft. About 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and make sure the mushrooms are evenly coated. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir continuously until the sauce is thickened. About 7-10 minutes. Keep scraping the bottom of the pan the whole time to keep anything from sticking to it.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream.
Assemble and Bake the Casserole:
Mix the green beans into the cream of mushroom soup. Stir in 1 cup of the fried onions and pour into your casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes and then cover with the remaining fried onions. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the onions are golden brown and bubbly.
More Thanksgiving Recipes:
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 and ½ cups French fried onions divided
For the Green Beans
- 3 cups green beans (about ¾lb.) trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
For the Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups white mushrooms (about 1 pound) quartered
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray
For the Green Beans:
- Rinse green beans, trim and cut in half. Add them to a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil until they are tender.
- Drain the green beans and add the butter to the pot. Once the butter is melted add the minced garlic and green beans. Sauté the green beans and garlic for 5 minutes. Set aside.
For the Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Rinse the mushrooms and use a paper towel to wipe off any dirt. Trim the stems and cut the mushrooms in half one way, then in half-inch slices the other way.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour making sure the mushrooms are evenly coated. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and stir continuously until the thick. About 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream.
Assemble and Bake:
- Mix the green beans, cream of mushroom, and 1 cup of the fried onions together and add to the casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Cover the top with the remaining fried onions and bake another 5-10 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.