Spinach quiche, also known as quiche florentine, is made with a buttery, flaky pie crust, chopped onion, spinach, shredded cheeses, and a creamy egg filling. It’s a delicious and impressive dish that is perfect for fancy brunches or easy weeknight dinners.
Quiche is made with a savory egg custard filling inside a buttery and flaky pie crust. There are many different ways to prepare it, with different meats, cheeses, or vegetables. Some of the more popular quiche recipes include quiche lorraine, which is made with onions and bacon, and quiche florentine, which is a spinach quiche.
Spinach Quiche Ingredients:
- Homemade pie crust: Use ½ of the recipe to make a 9″ pie crust.
- 10 oz. package frozen spinach: Frozen spinach is cheaper and easier than using fresh spinach – which you would need to sauté to get rid of excess moisture. There is a ton of moisture in spinach!
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- Shredded cheeses: I used half swiss and half cheddar cheeses. Any cheese combination you prefer will work just fine. Gruyere cheese is a classic for quiche. It’s a fancy swiss cheese that is similar in taste and texture.
- Large eggs
- Half and half: Or half milk half heavy cream.
- Salt and pepper
A tart pan is optional and makes the quiche look extra fancy. It also has a removable bottom which makes it easier to transfer the quiche to a serving plate. If you don’t have a tart pan you can also use a shallow 9″ pie plate. Prepare the pie crust in advance so it has time to chill, or to make things really easy you can buy a store-bought pie crust. I love making my favorite homemade pie crust whenever I get the chance, but sometimes time doesn’t allow for such luxuries. The crust doesn’t need to be prebaked and the filling only takes about 10 minutes to make. So once you have your crust rolled out just press it into your pan of choice and set in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
How to Make Quiche:
- Use a fork to prick several holes in the bottom of the pie crust.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium pan and add the chopped onions. Sauté the onions until soft. About 3-5 minutes.
3. Defrost frozen spinach in the microwave and use a paper towel to squeeze out alllll of the water. You want all of the moisture out to avoid a watery quiche with a soggy crust. You will be surprised at how much water you will be able to squeeze out!
4. Spread the cooked onions in the bottom of the pie crust and top with half of the spinach.
5. Add half of the shredded cheeses and then top with the rest of the spinach.
6. In a large bowl whisk to combine eggs, half & half (or half milk half heavy cream), salt, and pepper.
7. Top with the remaining shredded cheeses and pour in the egg/cream mixture. Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes until set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Or you can make my mini quiche recipe here:
- 9" tart pan or pie plate
- ½ Homemade Pie Crust Recipe or 1 store-bought 9" pie crust
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 10 oz. frozen spinach
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or Gruyere
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half, or half milk and half heavy cream
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- If using a homemade pie crust prepare it at least 3 hours in advance so it has time to chill.
- Spray a 9" tart pan or 9" pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Roll out the chilled pie dough and press it into the pan, use a fork to poke several holes in the bottom of the pie crust. Keep chilled in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and add the chopped onions. Sauté until soft. 3-5 minutes, set aside.
- Defrost the frozen spinach in a microwave and use a paper towel to wring out all of the water. Make sure all of the moisture is removed or you will have a watery quiche with a soggy crust.
- In a large bowl whick to combine eggs, half & half, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge. Add the onions then top with half of the chopped spinach. Then top with half of the shredded cheeses, the rest of the spinach, rest of the cheeses. Pour in the egg mixture and bake for 35-45 minutes until set and a knife comes out clean.
- Allow the quiche to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.