The Perfect Burger
The perfect burger, juicy and full of flavor.
Servings: 4 burgers
- 1 lb. ground chuck, 80% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- sliced onion
- 4 large slices Beefsteak or vine-ripened tomatoes
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese, American cheese, or muenster
- 4 slices Iceberg, romaine, or green-leaf lettuce
Prepare your toppings and condiments.
Gently shape the ground beef into 4 equal patties that are about an inch larger in circumference than your bun, ¼ lb. each. Press a divot into the center of the patties.
Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet. Once the skillet is very hot, add the patties and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste. Cook for about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare (135° on a meat thermometer) or about 5 minutes per side for medium-well (150° on a meat thermometer).
Let the patties rest for 5 minutes before serving. Toast the buns with butter, if desired, and add the toppings of your choice. Be sure to read the post above for detailed instructions.