This homemade eggnog recipe is the perfect thing to add some cheer to your holiday season! It’s perfectly spiced, thick, creamy, and absolutely delicious. Adults and kids love this recipe, it tastes great on its own and also makes a delicious cocktail!
Why buy store-bought eggnog that’s filled with artificial and unknown ingredients when you can easily make your own at home? It tastes 1000 x better anyway and takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Is Eggnog Made with Raw Eggs?
Traditional eggnog is made using raw eggs, but for this recipe the eggs are fully cooked, meaning it is entirely safe to drink. If you still have concerns or want to try making eggnog with raw eggs, you can use pasteurized eggs, which the USDA considers safe to eat raw and is what store-bought eggnog is usually made with.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE EGGNOG
- Egg yolks: Egg yolks thicken the eggnog and provide the majority of its flavor.
- Sugar: Just a little bit to make it slightly sweet.
- Cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt: The perfect holiday spices.
- Whole milk: Whole milk is best for eggnog that is thick and creamy and not too runny. If you don’t mind it being a little runnier you can opt for a lower fat version or try using a non-dairy kind.
- Vanilla extract: You can also use a scraped vanilla bean for even more flavor. They’re a bit pricey so I usually just stick with the extract.
- Rum extract: Adds so much of that classic eggnog flavor!
- Heavy cream: 2 cups, divided. One cup gets cooked with the milk and the remaining cup is whipped to stiff peaks and then folded into the eggnog at the end.
How to Make Homemade Eggnog:
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale yellow. Whisk in the cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla extract, rum extract, and 1 cup of heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a simmer that is just starting to boil and then remove from heat.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid into the egg yolks while whisking the yolks constantly so they don’t curdle. Once all of the liquid is added to yolks, pour everything back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the eggnog until smooth.
How to Make Eggnog with Raw Eggs
Whisk the yolks with the sugar until pale yellow and then whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour in the milk, vanilla, and one cup of heavy cream and whisk until smooth. Use an electric mixer to whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form and fold it into the eggnog.
Enjoy eggnog warm or let cool completely in the fridge. Homemade eggnog stays fresh for 1 week in the fridge.
What Alcohol is Best with Eggnog?
This eggnog recipe makes a perfect holiday cocktail that tastes amazing! The best alcohol to add is brandy, rum, spiced rum, bourbon, or whisky. Or get real fancy and add some cognac, yum!
More Winter and Holiday Recipes
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. rum extract
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the milk, vanilla extract, rum extract, and 1 cup of heavy cream. Cook until just starting to boil.
- Carefully pour the hot milk over the egg yolk mixture while whisking the yolks constantly. Once all of the milk is added, pour everything back into the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until a thermometer reaches 165°F.
- In a medium bowl add the remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and use an electric mixer to beat until stiff peaks form. About 2 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the eggnog.
- You can serve the eggnog warm or allow to cool in the fridge before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon or top with whipped cream, if desired. Eggnog stays fresh in the fridge for 1 week. For delicious spiked eggnog add your favorite brandy, rum, or whisky.