This easy key lime pie recipe is the perfect combination of tangy and sweet and is guaranteed to light up your taste buds. The 3 ingredient filling sits on top of the best buttery graham cracker crust and then is baked for just 15 minutes. Top it with my incredibly easy homemade whipped cream and prepare to fall into key lime heaven.
This easy key lime pie recipe is by far one of my favorite desserts to make. The refreshing and bright key lime filling sits so perfectly on top of the buttery, crisp graham cracker crust. This recipe is so easy, you will want to make it again and again! Whipped cream is a must for topping. You can use canned whipped cream, of course, but why would you when it’s SO easy to make your own homemade whipped cream. I’ve included the recipe for my easy-1 minute-2 ingredient-homemade whipped cream below. 😊
Graham Cracker Crust:
My favorite, buttery graham cracker crust is the perfect vessel for key lime pie.
Graham cracker crumbs + melted butter + sugar = 😍
The Key Lime Filling:
- Key lime juice: Key limes are smaller than regular limes and their flavor is sweeter and more tart. Nellie and Joe’s is a great brand of bottled key lime juice that will save you a billion years of juicing a thousand little limes. Find it in the juice aisle near the lemon and lime juices.
- Sweetened condensed milk: A classic key lime pie ingredient. Creamy, rich, and indulgent, perfect for balancing out the tartness of the key lime juice.
- Egg yolks: The protein of the yolks combine with the acidity of the lime juice and cause the pie to thicken during baking. You can always make a meringue with the leftover whites which makes for a delicious topping!
Whipped cream is mandatory for topping key lime pie!!
This is my recipe for EASY(!!) homemade whipped cream. Just 2 ingredients, 1 minute, and way better than store-bought:
- Add ¼ cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar to a large bowl. (Optional: a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla)
- Use an electric mixer to beat on high speed for about a minute until thick and creamy.
I hope you will love this easy key lime pie recipe as much as I do, and please do tell me if you make it! 🤍
More Pie Recipes:
Key Lime Pie
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 and ½ cups graham cracker crumbs about 10 sheets
- 6 tbsp. butter melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup sugar
For the Key Lime Filling:
- 2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup key lime juice
For the Homemade Whipped Cream
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- dash salt optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9.5" pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Make the Graham Cracker Crust
- Use a food processor to grind the graham crackers into crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the crust into the bottom of the greased pie pan and up the sides slightly.
- Bake the pie crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Do not turn the oven off.
Make the Key Lime Filling:
- Whisk the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice together until smooth.
- Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. The filling should be mostly set.
- Allow the pie to cool on the counter until it's not too hot for you to pick it up with your hands, about 10 minutes.
- Move the pie to the refrigerator and allow it to cool completely for about 2 hours before serving.
Make the Whipped Cream:
- In a large bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, sugar, and, if using, salt, and vanilla.
- Beat on high with an electric hand mixer until thick and creamy. About 1 minute.