These are the best homemade dinner rolls! They are so soft and buttery, the perfect side dish made with just a few simple ingredients.
Every home cook should be armed with a great homemade dinner rolls recipe, and this one is truly the best. The rolls are so soft and fluffy, like little pillows that melt in your mouth. This recipe is made with just 7 simple ingredients and very little hands-on time. I’ve also included instructions for preparing the rolls ahead of time.
Homemade Dinner Rolls Ingredients:
- Softened butter, cut into squares
- Active dry yeast- baking with yeast is not something to be afraid of. The yeast is proofed in the warm milk so you will have a clear visual showing that the yeast is good. Yeast that is alive will dissolve and get a little foamy.
- Warm milk- The milk needs to be warm to activate the yeast, just be careful that it isn’t hot. Hot milk will kill the yeast. Microwave in 15-second intervals until it is between 100-110°, or lukewarm to the touch.
Proofing the yeast is a process that proves your yeast is alive. The yeast is added to a warm liquid, in this case, milk, along with the sugar and stirred. The sugar is added with the yeast because it is food for the yeast. It consumes the sugar causing it to ferment. After 5-10 minutes the yeast should be dissolved and there should be some bubbles. Fresh, properly stored yeast is best.
Add the milk/yeast/sugar along with the softened butter, egg, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Add the flour and mix on low until combined, and then turn the speed up to high and knead for 5 full minutes. The dough should come together and sticky but not so much that it sticks to your fingers.
If you don’t have a stand mixer you can knead the dough with your hands. Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rise until doubled in size- about 1 hour.
Shape the Rolls:
Pull the dough apart with your hands, into about ¼ cup sized pieces. Roll into a ball with your hands. Arrange the rolls in a baking dish that has been greased with non-stick spray, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rise a second time. About 1 hour. Then bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter and serve warm.
How to Prepare Ahead of Time:
To prepare rolls ahead of time: prepare through shaping them, arrange in the baking pan and refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat:
Dinner rolls are best fresh out of the oven, but reheating leftovers can be just as good. Wrap the rolls in foil and bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes. Wrapping them in foil helps ensure they don’t dry out.
What to Serve Dinner Rolls With:
Dinner rolls are great for dipping into warm soup, slicing for sandwiches, or enjoy alone with butter and jelly.
Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Stand mixer
- ½ cup butter, softened and cut into squares
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 and ½ tsp. active dry yeast, 2 standard packets
- 6 tbsp. sugar, (¼ cup plus 2 tbsp.)
- 1 and ½ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Microwave the milk in 15-second intervals or heat on the stovetop until it reaches 100-110° or is lukewarm to the touch.
- Add the yeast and the sugar and stir to dissolve. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. It should be bubbly.
- Add the milk/yeast/sugar along with softened butter, salt, egg, and flour to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Mix on low until combined and then mix on high to knead for 5 full minutes. If you don't have a stand mixer you can knead the dough with your hands.
- Cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Shape the dough into 14 ¼ cup-sized balls. Arrange in a baking pan that has been greased with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rise another hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Bake the rolls for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Brush the tops with melted butter and serve warm.